Worth the trouble

Topics on selecting green and roasting for espresso
davidearls
Full City
Full City

Worth the trouble

Postby davidearls » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:47 pm

Been a while since I posted here, but I've been perfecting this blend. First off, let me just say that I don't understand why people drink SO espresso (except, perhaps, as oddities?). To me espresso has always been about balance. This past year I've been trying to balance roast levels with bean varieties. This one is a lot of work, but in the end, worth the trouble.

I'm still using my FreshRoast SR700, and its computer-controlled roast profiles are essential to this process. So, here goes:

100g dry-process Ethiopian roasted light
100g dry process Ethiopian roasted City
100g Kenya roasted light
100g Sumatra (or Java) roasted City+
100g Sumatra (or Java) roasted Full City

OK, here's the deal. Kenya roasted light would probably yield an undrinkable cup on its own. I can't imagine the overpowering fruit acidity and berry juice. But that all disappears wonderfully into this blend. I happen to like like-roast Ethiopian but honestly prefer City roast when I do SO espresso, so the same criticism applies, if slightly less so. The two different roast levels of Sumatra or Java really work well with each other, and they provide a harmonious base to this blend.

The profiles for each roast level were developed independently. The SR700 permits me to store these roast profiles as separate instruction sets to the roaster. Each profile was developed to produce a fine cup, though the light profiles, on their own, are better as pourovers than as espresso.

I've drunk this with joy as early as the morning following the roast, and I always brew 17g pucks yielding 51g shots, target brew time 26-28 sec. Yep, takes a little practice, and the grind will vary slightly from the freshly roasted to the slightly older stored coffee. This yields about a week's worth of coffee for me and my wife.

Let's don't even discuss the level of obsession required to get to this place...
David Earls

Rancilio Silvia/Rocky, FreshRoast SR700,
Behmor 1600, Hario v60...
...and now my dumb: I gave my wife light roast latte
So now I get up at 5:30 a.m. to make her one EVERY DAY...

Return to “Espresso Blending + Single Origin Espresso”