Breville grinders?

Discussion of grinders for brew and/or espresso uses
fdeviney
Green Bean
Green Bean

Breville grinders?

Postby fdeviney » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:10 am

Does anyone have experience with the newer Breville grinders, like the dose control pro or the smart grinder pro? I've seen mostly good reviews, but with conflicting information on grind size. Some say it can't grind fine enough for espresso, but is great for all other brewing methods, others say it does espresso, drip and pour over well but can't quite grind fine enough for french press, and still others say it works well for any grind size. Currently using a capresso infinity that I really like-minded I don't have an espresso machine yet, do I have no idea how it performs at that end of the spectrum, but I imagine that before I purchase an espresso machine I'll need to upgrade the grinder.

spro745
Full City
Full City

Re: Breville grinders?

Postby spro745 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 am

Based on what I've read about them/videos I've watched they seem decent enough. OTOH the weak link in them seems to be the gearbox. Have seen quite a few complaints about the gearbox just going out in them, whether just under normal use or an occasional rock ending up in the hopper.

Grind quality likely won't be much better than the Infinity, but the Breville grinders will likely offer more fine tuning. I had an Infinity for some time and found it to grind quite well, but the only thing I didn't like is the massive grind chamber, leading to a lot of retention.

Return to “Coffee Mills, Espresso Mills”