Salvaging Under Roasted Beans

Behmor, HotTop, Gene Cafe
Ken_K
Green Bean
Green Bean

Salvaging Under Roasted Beans

Postby Ken_K » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:26 am

I'm not new to roasting but have just purchased a Behmor 1600 Plus and am still getting used to the machine. I just finished roasting a batch of beans and they were barely brown when I removed them after cooling. Is there any way to continue the roast without ruining them or do they just need to be tossed?
Thanks for your input.

CucamongaDan
Full City
Full City

Re: Salvaging Under Roasted Beans

Postby CucamongaDan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I recall reading similar questions on this very forum about whether to continue a roast that was interrupted for whatever reason, or toss 'em and start over, and I'd say the consensus was that while it's not what you're hoping for, it's not the worst thing either, and mostly happy outcomes will result when you start them back up and take them to where they ought to be.

I know nothing about Behmors or anything but modified corn poppers but I'm guessing you want to get them hot enough to start cracking as fast as you can without burning them, so as to minimize the "bakiness" imparted by too long spent in the not hot enough to crack temperature range.

Let us know what kind of beans and what kind of roast you were shooting for and how they finally come out.

Ken_K
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby Ken_K » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks for the reply Dan. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Ken_K
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby Ken_K » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:05 am

I took a small quantity of the under roasted beans and ran them through a quick cycle in my Poppery II. I usually roast to city + and it only took a couple of minutes to get them to that stage.
I made a pot with the under roasted beans and it was quite drinkable. Nothing terrible, nothing memorable. The re-roasted beans certainly had more depth and I considered this experiment a success. The beans were from Burundi if that matters.

Return to “Using Drum Roasters”