Espresso Workshop #40 Availability...

Selecting the right coffee, cupping methods, Sweet Maria's reviews, Green Bean storage
spro745
Full City
Full City

Espresso Workshop #40 Availability...

Postby spro745 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Have been buying green coffee since building my home roaster back around March. So far I have tried Altiplano, Moka Kadir, Espresso Monkey and most recently the Espresso Workshop #40 (all being used for espresso). I have extracted tens of thousands of double shots over the last 6-7 years at home and commercially, having used lots of coffees from some great artisan roasters. I can honestly say the extractions I'm getting from 4-5 day old EW #40 have been simply superb, some of the absolute best espresso I've yet to tinker with. I recently ordered 10# and now see it's no longer being offered. Will this blend become available in the near future?

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Re: Espresso Workshop #40 Availability...

Postby martin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:37 pm

The Workshop series are basically one-shot blends, available until the specific lots they were created with run out. Every once in a while SM decides to try to recreate one that's especially popular and make it a "permanent" blend offering. Ethiopiques is the one that comes to mind. But most of them are like the individual lots, they come and go and are seen no more.
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee

JBHoren
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby JBHoren » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:53 am

Yes, I, too, bought some (not enough :( ) of the Espresso Workshop #40 blend. 5lbs? I wish I'd bought 10lbs, or even 20lbs! Just delicious, taken to j-u-s-t FC+, stretched-out over ten minutes, it's every bit as good as the offering's description.

I drink it brewed -- no espresso pour moi -- and oh, the chocolate! With a bit over 3lbs remaining, one mug/day is all that's allowed.

So, here's another vote for recreating this one as a "regular" offering; I'd venture to say that as many of Sweet Maria's customers drink their coffee "brewed", as "pulled".
After Tuesday, even the calendar says "W T F"!!

spro745
Full City
Full City

Postby spro745 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 pm

I would imagine this blend could be tweaked to work for any brew/extraction method.

You said you stretch the roast out over ten minutes... with what roasting setup? I built mine with an industrial Master Vari-temp heat gun/large flour sifter and have had my best results using 3 temp levels and hit 1C around 13 mins and 2C around 18 mins. I have found going about 20 seconds into 2C is perfect for my taste for all the coffees I've roasted thusfar. Earlier than that (even 30 seconds) and it's too light/acidic, much more than 20 seconds in and it's a bit too dark. I recently noticed my extractions were a bit thin, although good, but I wanted thicker/more syrupy extractions so I started using a bit less heat between 1C-2C and sped up my agitation speed to allow more airflow, letting the roast coast a bit longer between 1C-2C... maybe an extra 1.5-2 mins. That was the ticket to get exactly what I'm looking for.

EW#40 roasted the way I have been gives a unique baker's chocolate/very "earthy" aroma/taste that is just awesome. Guess once I finish what I have I can make other blends work or possibly buy the individual coffees used to create it and blend it myself.

Return to “Choosing Coffees, Cupping, Coffee Reviews, Coffee Storage”