Guatamala Gesha

Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador
butch burton
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Guatamala Gesha

Postby butch burton » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:46 am

WOW:
Just brewed Gesha roasted 2 days ago and wow is it fantastic. I am a wine lover and this coffee is truly the Grand Cru Classe French Burgundy of the coffee world. For those unfamiliar with great French Burgundy - the quality and price is astronomical - have several bottles in my cellar with values over $30K each.

The flavor is huge but soft and round. Last year SM ran out quickly - see it is still in stock. For those of you who ask "Is it worth the price". A real steal I say. This year's Gesha is better than last year's. Coffee from Yemen used to be my #1 - now it is Gesha!

Will finally send pics of my home built roaster - after 20+ years.

Butch

jfutral
Full City
Full City

Re: Guatamala Gesha

Postby jfutral » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:36 pm

What are you roasting with?

Joe
Behmor, Maestro Plus, Bonavita, my daughter's old french press, sugar, half and half (heathen that I am), good friends

Kashbroo
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby Kashbroo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Hey Butch,

I roasted some about a couple weeks ago myself using a Whirley Pop. Nothing fancy here except the coffee. It is just as you described.
Attachments
IMG_8045.JPG
Guatemala Gesha
IMG_8045.JPG (61.33 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

butch burton
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby butch burton » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:14 am

Over 20 YAG I built a drum roaster from fairly heavy gauge cold rolled steel. Had some friends who owned a huge metal fabrication business - they made metal covers for huge mining track hoes. Ran the steel through a slip roller. It weighs about 20#. Got a 30 rpm gear motor used for $30 - new over $250 - and use a large gas fired bbq grill.
Since thermometers are all over the place, I try to hit the roast spot before second crack by watching and listening and then using a bean thief to see color. Typically the roast is done around 18 minutes. BTW have roasted at -20F and wind is more important than temp. Typically I roast 2.5# at a time - too much probably but works for me. Get some welders gloves - 400F will fry skin.

Use a bean cooler made from a box fan - thanks to Ed Needham for this great low cost bean cooler.

I only drink coffee at home - have to travel a lot - Cafe Du Monde in a couple of weeks - at midnight the customer question becomes species.

butch burton
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby butch burton » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:27 am

Well just ordered 20# of this wonderful coffee. For those that haven't tried this coffee - get in gear and with the program. WOW it continues to be great.

Never ever drink anything but my own coffee.

Once ran out of SM's coffee - bought some canned crap - went to my neighbors who are smokers and can taste nothing.

Ignorance maybe bliss to some but the difference between every day and exception is well worth experiencing.

Butch

butch burton
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby butch burton » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:22 am

Tried to post some pics of my roaster - can't files are way too large for even a single pic. If U want to see pics - use this forum to request the pics and will try to find a place to post them for you.

BTW just tried another roast of Gesha - went just a bit into second crack and wow is it wonderful.

Tom/Maria keep Gesha in stock please.

thanks

butch

Rookieroaster
City Roast
City Roast

Postby Rookieroaster » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 am

I would like to see your roaster and re-sizing is easy to do. I think most hosting sites have re-sizing tools. Here's what my roaster looked like newly built. It has about a hundred roasts on it now, so a nice patina forming. :) I use Photobucket and this is a screenshot of what you see when you edit a photo.This would be a good place to post your roaster photo.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=196

BBQ Drum Roaster, Toastmaster Popper, Hario Skerton, Bodum Bistro, CCD, PO.

alanw
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby alanw » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Burgundy lover here, too, DRC especially. Unlike La Tache, I don't think Gesha is worth the extra $ but Guatemalans from Huehuetenango are my favorites. Behmor 1600+ is my roaster. Nice thread.

butch burton
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby butch burton » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:09 am

Well it is one year later and just roasted the new batch of Gesha and WOW WOW - as per usual it is fantastic smooth understated power. it is like having 500 quiet horses under the hood. Roasted it to Full City and that be the place IMHO.

I have been around a long time and let me tell U, life is too short for bad wine or coffee!

Butch

Return to “Americas”