Zambia Kasama Estate

Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Congo, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Yemen, India, Thailand, Vietnam
el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Re: Zambia Kasama Estate

Postby el grano viejo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 am

Thanks, Dan, lots to think about. I have a feeling the next order will be difficult to curtail. All four Brasils are calling, both Z beans & several others to boot. Fortunately, the green shelf has a little room to spare. The question -- is it wise to give into temptation this early in spring? Guess I'll find out.
e-g-v

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:10 am

By an odd coincidence, I had just been looking over the new arrivals before dropping by this old watering trough, and the Kasama was one of two from last Friday which caught my eye (the other was the Brazil). According to my limited, local coffee wayback machine, the Bourbon/Catimor Kasama was a May 2016 arrival. And there's very little different in the cup scores or tasting notes between that and the current lot - you have to look hard to pick them out. The not-so-very-way-back archives don't seem to include any other Zimbabwe than the current offering. ;-(

This morning's cup was from the final roast of Wollega Leka Wato which is nice and ready after about 60 hours, and that has my eying the Wengo, the only DP Yirge currently listed, as well.
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Thu May 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Hey-oh, Mike! Did you get some of this year's Kasama, then?

I got a couple pounds in a recent order, and while the first time roast didn't come out quite the way I had planned, the Kasama has been unfailingly sweet and solid, though I was kind of hoping for that sweet tobacco note which I haven't caught so far. It's also a fine base on which to add a little Yemen topping, say one part in three or four.

One thing I did notice - this lot seems to have quite a few unconventionally formed beans. Noticed it after roasting - there were "a lot" of what looks like half the bean has split off, but these aren't broken beans. There's an irregular but smooth, or maybe undamaged would be a better word, edge where the top "split". Found one that hadn't quite come apart, and it seems there's an extra bit of silverskin (chaff to us) that grew there. I think I still have that not quite apart bean, need to try again to get a decent photo of it...

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby el grano viejo » Sat May 06, 2017 3:57 am

Hi Martin --
I did get some Kasama last month, roasted a load, was disappointed with the cup, then got diverted to several of the Colombias & Brasils, latter selling out quickly to my lament.

Problem with the Kasama was under the bottom blackstrap molasses, producing an intense raspy aftertaste that would not let go the entire day. It smacked of a robusta experience, and it wasn't entirely pleasant. What did Jim call it -- burning rubber? Well, that's too strong, but there was no subtlety in the cup, the nutmeg hopelessly lost.

There's a good chance of a blown roast and/or preparation, but with the others (and the excellent PNG) providing so much pleasure I didn't fret over it.

There's an irregular but smooth, or maybe undamaged would be a better word, edge where the top "split". Found one that hadn't quite come apart, and it seems there's an extra bit of silverskin (chaff to us) that grew there. I think I still have that not quite apart bean, need to try again to get a decent photo of it...

I do not remember unusual beans in the roast, but you've aroused my curiosity. One roast left in the bag. I'll let you know how it goes.

Did you figure out how to post photos here?
e-g-v

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby el grano viejo » Sun May 14, 2017 4:43 am

Last iteration a complete turnaround harking back to the original experience described in the post that started this thread. I don't know what to make of this. The plan was to try one more brew and if still out of whack discard the rest, but it's back in balance, now looking forward to tomorrow's Kasama morning.

Quite flabbergasted -- no idea what I did wrong last time. Roasting results have been steady since employing the two-tray Hottop, making things happen at a lower indicated temperature, which means the deeper tray may be detrimental. Brewing is always subject to getting the grind right, maybe it was way off, but not about to fiddle with the present setting to solve the mystery. Let it go and enjoy the cup.

I'd follow Dan's suggestion and link to photos of the beans, but I do not subscribe to a photo service, and there are no obvious abnormalities.

e-g-v

CucamongaDan
Full City
Full City

Postby CucamongaDan » Sun May 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Ha! That's always happening to me too. I'll get a coffee I have high hopes for and be disappointed and/or befuddled with how each roast turns out, then somehow the very last roast is amazing. Maybe I'm inconsistent somewhere in my roasting, setup time, grinding, brewing, or how I let it hit my palate (probably all of the above).

My recent roasts of Ethiopians have seemed to improve since I re-read Sweet Maria's roasting tips and I am going for a more leisurely ramping up of the temperature, then a quick and hot first crack and cool it down. I'm guessing that general approach is good for Zambias too, but complicated by their large size.

Glad to hear they redeemed themselves, that will keep them on my 'to order' list- too much good stuff to choose from lately.

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 am

Time's been flyin', and tuits are in short supply. Did a second roast batch a while ago, and pulled a sampling of "oddly broken" beans... sitting right there in a vial, waiting for me to get a photo tuit (and maybe a where-on-the-webs-shall-they-go tuit, too).

Anyway, I had roasted the last of the Fara Sala, a fruit-mad Ethiopia lot that I stupidly got only 1 lb of last fall (what, was I thinking???), and as the Kasama was nearly gone and the Fara had rested only overnight, I tossed them together (near equal parts IIRC), and enjoyed a wonderfully thick, rich chocolaty cup with a blur of shifting sweet fruit accents... put me to mind of the classic Moka Java from back when that was a blend of Yemen and Ethiopia lots, still unequalled IMO by the later reformulations (what I call Moka Lite). Sadly, that was a one-off blend, but it does point the way towards future use of the Kasama in blends.

Return to “Africa, Arabia, Asia”