India Karnataka Plantation Peaberry

Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Congo, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Yemen, India, Thailand, Vietnam
el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Re: India Karnataka Plantation Peaberry

Postby el grano viejo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:04 am

The wayback machine has plenty of archived coffees up to 2012 or so, not finding much of anything coming forward. Even so it's a trip to renew old friendships. Back around 2004/5 Guats from rainy Coban ("That's 98.42 inches per year, Gringo!"), mainly El Tirol Estate, were regularly offered, now an almost forgotten origin I wish would return.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130213033853/http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.reviewarc.g-k.03-04.html

It may interest some to note El Injerto's mediocre rating, a few years before the estate acquired a cult following and elevated appreciation.

A big surprise was the price of the Hottop in 2004. I had convinced myself it cost $400 but this was wrong. The correct price was $585.
https://web.archive.org/web/20040416045418/http://sweetmarias.com:80/prod.hottop.shtml

Dang! The movie doesn't play.
e-g-v

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Nah, those were the frameworks. Don't know what SM used back when the "all offerings" page was the tables with buttons & prices for each bag size for each lot. Magneto was the next thing they tried, and while it's used by many storefronts, it never seemed to be a comfortable fit for SM. Then they moved to the current framework, and there was another round of teething pains and getting parts working again...

As for the slow load of the archive page, well, no... it loads pretty fast, really. It's fetching the 600 or so pointless pictures, each one a separate HTTP request, that takes most of the time. In theory, those images ought to go into the browser's local cache, and so be more quickly available on later visits. In practice, if you visit the page only rarely, or hit a lot of other cacheable content that pushes the coffee pictures out of the cache, or whatever, then not so fast.

Okay, there's some other stuff going on, but when I went back to the archive page just now, it popped up a LOT sooner than it had when I was visiting it for the first time in who knows how long. There is something about the way the page is structured, whether in the HTML itself, CSS, or javascript pieces, that makes it not display much until it's all ready. That ought to be fixable, in theory.
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby el grano viejo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:20 am

A wired LAN client here has load times in excess of 30 seconds, reduced to 15-20 seconds after caching, but that's the next morning. Problem is the contents of the local cache have to be compared with possible new records. Eventually sold out coffees do get added to the archive. Performance will constantly deteriorate, and it's a poor practice to rely on a local cache to ease things along in the first place.

These are not "pretty fast" times for what is essentially a static page of pedestrian HTML markup consisting of a single unordered list as its main component. The easy way to deal with this is to let the visitor request a subset of sold out coffees up front, say by region and/or year, and not load the entire archive every time the page is requested. It's difficult to scan visually and displays nothing in the way of data segregation until a menu item is selected, a step too late in the scheme of things.
e-g-v

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:09 am

Oh, I agree that the design is, well, just "throw them all in one bucket", and it doesn't scale at all, at all. I doubt that there was ever any conscious "the local cache will make it suck less" plan! Also, it's behaving oddly this morning and I can't even see the main page in firebug's net trace. And a bunch of third-party javascript modules don't seem to be loading at all, which probably defers any rendering even longer than it otherwise would. :-(

Frankly, I never thought SM's archive was anything more than an afterthought, which was a large part of the motivation for having a copy of the lot info in my homeroast thing. The motivation for the more recent scraper was... well, I don't really recall why I got started on that any longer. Late-summer boredom, perhaps? :-)

I seem to have overlooked your message about the wayback results. I thought (but haven't looked in, well, years I guess) that the ancient layers of archives were still hanging about in the legacy area. 2012 sounds a bit early for the storefront transition, which was when the archives probably became lost to wayback, but I could be mistaken... MLAS. And I was going to say, before I derailed my thoughts, that the scraper seems to have begun scraping in the [late] summer of 2013, which I guess was still the early days of the Magneto experience, so maybe those teething pains were part of the motivation. And the move to LemonStand (no-ade - that other is the name of an SEO consultancy) was late spring or early summer of 2015 - that was when I had to patch in a table to translate from the old SKU numbers to the new PID codes in the scraper.

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby el grano viejo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am

SM does so many things right, it's a shame it failed to get the UI straightened out when the old web "design" was jettisoned. Final example -- a disgusting blunder -- the bean logo on the forum pages links to the forum page! On other pages it links to the SM home page. It should be the same here, where there is no link to the SM home page.

Martin, you are performing a valuable service. Thanks!

No more of this. Back to India Karnataka Plantation Peaberry. Day two of roast two -- undiminished pleasure.
e-g-v

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Glitches come and go (or don't), but great cups of coffee happen [almost] every day! Although I'm once again struggling to find an unused tuit for that... I think tomorrow might still be soon enough to roast some of that old Ismaili I thawed last week. It's the tuits that are hard. :-/

Return to “Africa, Arabia, Asia”