Does Anyone NOT have sediment??

Discussion of press techniques
RayH
First Crack
First Crack

Does Anyone NOT have sediment??

Postby RayH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 am

Without using a cloth or paper filter, does anyone NOT get some sediment at the bottom of the cup?? I have no chunks, but do have some sediment at the bottom. Would people please chime in. I really don't know any French Press drinkers....

bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Re: Does Anyone NOT have sediment??

Postby bigbells » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 am

RayH wrote:Without using a cloth or paper filter, does anyone NOT get some sediment at the bottom of the cup?? I have no chunks, but do have some sediment at the bottom. Would people please chime in. I really don't know any French Press drinkers....
I don't make French Press, but I've read many a comment from those who do. Sediment comes with the territory.
Dave Bellware
Roast: Behmor 1600. Grind: Baratza Encore. Brew: Behmor Brazen.

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Yes, anything short of God's Grinder must have some fine particles in the output - comes of breaking an irregular bean into particles not more than some target size - so there's some non-soluble particles that will get through any mesh type filter, and will settle so slowly the coffee will be either cold or turned nasty from being heated for so long before its clear. Heck, I think there might be a tiny trace that gets through even your ordinary paper filters!

One possible way to reduce this, maybe to the point you don't notice it, would be to sift the grounds before brewing to get rid of the finer particles. I doubt it can ever achieve 100% de-dusting, but maybe close enough...
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee

JavaMD
City Roast
City Roast

Postby JavaMD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm getting an espro when the medium size come out ... it is MUCH better at reducing sediment than traditional French press brewers but a bit more $$$.

I have a Bunn Trifecta MB and it does leave some minimal sediment ... a small "price" to pay for an outstanding single cup of coffee ... one at a time ... love it ...
almost all metal filters will give you some sediment ... although some ... like the metal filter replacement for the aeropress are not too bad.

Steve
Santoker Revolution-500, TJ North-067, Londinium-I, 2014 HG-One,
Baratza Vario-W (steel burrs), OE Lido #635
Trifecta MB, Aeropress, Espro Medium/Large

RayH
First Crack
First Crack

Postby RayH » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks. I just wanted to check as there is a lot of opinions on how to brew French Press. I've surmised that it's part of the territory. I am consistent in my brew and the amount of sediment is consistent. That sediment is probably continuing the brewing process in my cup. But it's continuing in all my cups. So I've already made the adjustments.

The sum is that it doesn't bother me, but might bother my guests. For them, I'll just brew them single cup pour over. I might walk over to Pete's to purchase a ceramic pour over filter. I have some $1.50 plastic jobber right now.

spro745
Full City
Full City

Postby spro745 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:59 pm

As has been mentioned, some sediment is part of the process. I'm a die hard espresso fanatic, but recently spotted a nice Bodum press at the local Starbucks kiosk. Was marked $20, but at the register it rang up $6, so a no-brainer there as I have never tried press. Have been using it for less than 2 weeks now and am quite pleased with the results in a short period of time. I'm using a Vario grinder, which is rather consistent from coarse to Turkish, so no worries there. The sediment I do get is tolerable, as it resembles what you might have after sipping a cup of hot cocoa when using a powdered mix.

IMBHO press coffee will never replace espresso, but it does provide a nice flavorful cup with some texture for those that prefer that approach. I'm not a fan of any coffee I can see daylight through.

sierranomad
City +
City +

Postby sierranomad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 am

OK, so this doesn't directly relate to the question (By the way, Yes, I do get sediment in FP); but it does connect in a round-a-bout way.

I tried FP in my search of the "perfect cup"...a cup with better extraction, flavor, body. I liked it, but still thought it could surely be better.

Then I watched Tom's video on the CCD. He mentioned being able to brew with the CCD method w/o having a CCD. That got me to thinking. I now brew in a thermal carafe, CCD method. When brewing is done I pour the brew over a paper filter. The best tasting coffee I have ever had (of course, tastes are hightly subjective to personal opinion). AND...no sediment.
gas grill, burr grinder, CCD inspired brewing method

Quoddy
First Crack
First Crack

Postby Quoddy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 am

I have two Bodum's but won't be using them now that I have a 1 liter Espro. There's at least 80% less sediment using the Espro and it's double filter. I love French Press, and didn't think that it could be improved upon much until I began using it. Still the great FP taste, but without the sludge.
Roasting: Quest M3
Brewing: Andrea Premium (espresso), Bunn Trifecta MB, Cona (vacuum), Espro French Press, Chemex and Bayreuth (pour overs), Bialetti Moka
Grinders: MACAP M4 (espresso), Baratza Vario-W with Ditting burrs (everything else)

friedcoffee
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby friedcoffee » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Though the sediments are the default in French Press and many people like French Press because of this but still you can buy a Grosche Madrid Premium French Press. It has one more filter at the lid to reduce the sediments in your cup. Hope that helps.

Return to “French Press Brewing”