Now why did I get these again?

Ibrik? Mokapot? Percolater? Flip Drip? Cowboy Coffee? An old sock?
CucamongaDan
Full City
Full City

Now why did I get these again?

Postby CucamongaDan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Actually they served their intended purpose well. Anyone want to guess what I used them for?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJNU5B/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490297534&sr=sr-1&keywords=silicon+gasket

Hint: I only needed one, of no particular color.

CucamongaDan
Full City
Full City

Re: Now why did I get these again?

Postby CucamongaDan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Well if curiosity killed the cat, I guess you cats are all playing it safe so here's the answer.

I usually got a little leakage over the edge of my mug I was pressing into when I used the Aeropress with the stainless mesh s-filter. The gasket stops that from happening. Occasionally coffee can come out the 4 slots in the flange now but its avoidable if I am watching for it and stop pushing so hard if its about to happen.

*edit 4/18/17: There are 4 slots in the flange of an Aeropress, not 3 as I originally posted.
Last edited by CucamongaDan on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

conky
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby conky » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 am

Nice one. How about something that will let me aeropress into a motel-room plastic cup without crush and splurt ? Tks !

CucamongaDan
Full City
Full City

Postby CucamongaDan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

hahaha you got me there! I remember one time we were staying at a motel and I had to make a quick side trip to a Rite-Aid and found a nice light green mug on clearance for a dollar when I forgot to bring a suitable mug to press into. Still got it.

CucamongaDan
Full City
Full City

Postby CucamongaDan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 am

This just popped up as I was perusing Amazon for something different.

They're currently $4.83 and Prime ($1.49 less than I paid for my color ones).
https://www.amazon.com/HIC-Silicone-Replacement-sized-Mouth-3-75-Inches/dp/B000HM621C/ref=pd_rhf_eeolp_s_cp_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000HM621C&pd_rd_r=RQ4GKMZ36N3PBT9DNQGA&pd_rd_w=395KE&pd_rd_wg=v6c17&psc=1&refRID=RQ4GKMZ36N3PBT9DNQGA

I guess that's a standard size of canning jar gasket (2.75 inch ID is the critical dimension as to whether it will fit on an Aeropress). Might be really cheap if they are available in bulk at an old-fashioned hardware store that has canning supplies.

Oh well, I can rotate my color ones to show my mood.

It is nice to not have the little dribble stream of coffee go down the outside of my cup though. Saves a napkin nearly every time I have a cup of coffee.

Return to “Other Brewing Methods”