Forum Hacks

Comments and Ideas about the Forum, or S.M. in general.
ira
Full City
Full City

Re: Forum Hacks

Postby ira » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:07 am

Birthdays don't show up unless you log in and since the board constantly logs me out I rarely see them either.

Ira

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby el grano viejo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks, Ira, solves one mystery while begetting another. No need to log in to the old forum to see "Congratulations to: hillrockra (61)." Who would develop such a "feature" when so much important work remains to be done?

It's also nonsense to state "No birthdays today" on the day forum member hillrockra turns 61, better to say nothing at all if this is deemed sensitive information.
e-g-v

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:46 am

It's just a guess on my part, but I'd wager as much as a small bag of greens that this behavior comes from the phpBB software rather than anything SM set out to do. As for why it differs, obvious possibilities include a difference between versions of phpBB or an obscure setting that no one intentionally changed - perhaps the change was in the default for that setting.

Now that the thought has surfaced, I wonder how many of the annoying issues in the new forum setup might be due to changes across phpBB versions. I know I've sometimes had to spend a stupid amount of time and effort when an underlying system has been updated. :-(
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee

ira
Full City
Full City

Postby ira » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Or it would seem a lack of interest by SM.

Ira

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

B'day dearth

Postby el grano viejo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:13 am

It's just a guess on my part, but I'd wager as much as a small bag of greens that this behavior comes from the phpBB software rather than anything SM set out to do. As for why it differs, obvious possibilities include a difference between versions of phpBB or an obscure setting that no one intentionally changed - perhaps the change was in the default for that setting.

Plausible, Martin, but beware of incautious haste when proposing a wager. Several days running, old board & new, logged in & out, not a single member birthday reported. What do you make of that? Hard to believe heirloom jumping beans refrained from frolicking in late April, season of merriment & mischief.
e-g-v
Last edited by el grano viejo on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby el grano viejo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:20 pm

You win, Martin. They're back.
e-g-v

martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:42 pm

...and I have no idea if it showed me any birthdays on those days because, as you've just reminded me, I don't really pay much attention to that bottom-of-page feature. :-/
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee

BoldJava
Over-roasted
Over-roasted

Postby BoldJava » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:21 am

I checked this morning to see if SM's had fixed the forum.

They have let the forum go so I have as well.

Dave
Dave Borton
Twin Cities, Minnesota

Return to “Requests, Suggestions, Feedback”