Hario Technica 5 cup burner questions

Cona, Yama, Hario, Silex - Vacuum Syphon brewers and techniques
MAcsSNAcs
Green Bean
Green Bean

Hario Technica 5 cup burner questions

Postby MAcsSNAcs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:40 pm

HI there. I've recently gotten my first vac pot. Got the Hario TCA-5, and the burner that came with it is really inadequate... unless I'm just doing something wrong.

1) Is there a technique for using the burner properly? It seems like the flame is just weak. Maybe I should use something other than Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol 70%) for the fuel. I've taken to completely boiling the water before putting it in the bottom container, and it still takes a long time to get it bubbling from the flame, sometimes causing the water to move up to the top so slowly that I get a bad brew.

2) there is the Cafe de Tiamo Micro Butane Burner that I can get from Amazon. It's a little pricey, but if it's the right thing, I'll get it.

Help please! :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

MAcsSNAcs
Green Bean
Green Bean

Re: Hario Technica 5 cup burner questions

Postby MAcsSNAcs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:48 pm

I couldn't locate the edit button, so I"ll just post an update here. I wanted to make it clear that I'm not putting the top container with the coffee on until the lower chamber is bubbling. ;)

el grano viejo
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby el grano viejo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:39 am

I'm unfamiliar with the Hario, but alcohol lamps are close to useless. Yama's butane burner works very well if there's enough clearance.
e-g-v

MAcsSNAcs
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby MAcsSNAcs » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks for the info. Got a butane burner, and it's awesome!

Return to “Vacuum Brewing”